they say you don't know what you got 'til it's gone / / they say that your darkest hour comes before your dawn

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

(:


This was emailed to me while I was at work today. I was having a stressful day and a co-worker told me that it's best if I don't fuss over the things I cannot change. This was her idea of helping me put things into perspective. And let me tell you, it worked. I don't know this little boy's story, or how old he is, or anything like that. But you can tell from the photo what kind of challenges he's had to live through.

Suddenly, everything that's crappy in my life doesn't seem so crappy after all. The things I stress about are stupid. I stress about work, about money, about family, friends, my relationship - every little thing that goes on in my life adds to the stress I'm already drowning in. I don't even know why I stress. Nothing is achieved from stressing, except the loss of hair and sleep. I can handle lack of sleep, but losing my hair is not something I'm over the moon about. It's taken me too long to grow it back after cutting most of it off, I'm not about to lose it again.

See, now I'm stressing about losing my hair. Excellent.

The thing I love most about this photo, is that little boy's smile. He's truly happy despite his adversities. He plays golf, rides horses, runs in Little Athletics, rides a bike, even gets into a little wake boarding (I have other photos, but I'm not going to post them all). I don't even smile like that anymore. Not with my whole heart full of happiness. I forgot what that feels like. Point being, life isn't so hard when everything comes easy to you. Sure enough keeping things in my life stable isn't easy, but it's sure as hell not as hard as this little boy's had it. Can't imagine how proud his parents must be.

I don't know if it's the anti-depressants that I have to take twice a day, or that photo that's making me happy, but whatever it is, I like it. And for my happiness' sake, I'd like to believe it's the latter. No more fussing about things I cannot change. Life may not be perfect, but it still keeps moving forward. And I'm not going to let my life pass me by anymore.

Ohyeah, he can play ice hockey too.
Next time you think life's too hard, think about skating on ice with no legs. 
Now there's a challenge.

P.S: I don't know anything about this little boy. If someone who knows him, through any association, and is offended by this, I meant no harm. He's an inspiration and you should be proud. 
(:

No comments:

Post a Comment