they say you don't know what you got 'til it's gone / / they say that your darkest hour comes before your dawn

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Teeth Of Wisdom;

This could not explain more clearly the pain I feel right now. I've broken my nose and endured the pain of the flu at the same time, but the pain of my bottom right wisdom tooth coming through and infecting my gum, comes a close second. I have never, ever, everrrrr, before had trouble with my teeth. They've all come up perfectly straight, all nice and white, and no cavities or the likes. SO WHY THE HELL DOES THIS SINGULAR TOOTH HAVE TO CAUSE ME SUCH PAIN ?!
Tosser of a tooth, if you ask me.


I'm still baffled by the term, "Wisdom teeth," and I'd like to meet the person who named them as such so I can punch them in the face, so they too can share my pain. Nevertheless, my curiosity beat me down and I had to Wiki it up. Here's what Wiki could tell me:
-They are generally though to be called wisdom teeth because they appear so late - much later than the other teeth, at an age where people are presumably "wiser" than as a child.
-In Korean, its name is Sa-rang-nee referring to the young age and the pain of the first love.
-In Japanese, it's name is Oyashirazu, literally meaning "unknown to the parents," from the idea that they erupt after a child has moved away.
There's more but I don't care for it.

I don't know about you, but just because I'm wiser than I was as a child, does not mean I enjoy the constant throbbing pain in my mouth. And as a matter of fact, I don't remember the loss of my "first love" hurting anything like this. In fact, it was less painful and easier to numb out. I still haven't moved out of home either, so that silly Japanese theory does not apply. Wiki has taught me nothing, and I'm still stuck wondering why such a lovely term as "wisdom" was given to such a stupid tooth, that in most cases is removed. I don't feel any wiser having the teeth, I just feel more grumpy.

My dentist appointment is tomorrow. I'm nervous. I don't like medical procedures, and the idea of needles in my mouth terrifies me. I suppose, "no pain, no gain," applies to such a situation. I don't want someone poking around in my mouth when I can't see. I don't want someone causing me pain. I don't want to wake up feeling the same, if not worse. I don't want puffy cheeks and still being unable to eat solids. ...I think it's quite safe to say I have control issues... Might as well summon all my courage tomorrow morning. If I want this tooth gone, I'm going to face my fear head on.


3 comments:

  1. i had my wisdom teeth out last year.
    i'm not going to lie, it was terrible.
    but once it's over, that's it.

    just take the pain-killers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had mine removed the day after I posted this. Wasn't painful at all. Half my mouth was numb. It was the most fun I've had in a long time, aha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree wisdom teeth are stupid. i'm eventually going to have to get mine out and i am not looking forward to that.

    http://justmycrazyboringlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete