they say you don't know what you got 'til it's gone / / they say that your darkest hour comes before your dawn

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Thank you;

Sometimes I question how thankful people really are for the lives they have. Seriously. Some people take what they have for granted. I guess it's because we grow up not knowing any different. I wonder how much of a change it would create if people grew up knowing that the world isn't the same all over.

What if you grew up knowing that children, just like you, have no food or water ? Or even parents ? Would that make you realise how wonderful your life is ? Would you be more caring, more giving, more conscious that you're lucky to have what you do ?

I know how lucky I am. I've lost everything before. I had no home, no money, no clothes, barely a family to lean on, no friends - quite literally nothing. That part of my life existed when my mother, brother and I ran away to Melbourne during my parents' divorce. I guess that showed me what life can be like for some. I was only 9 years old at the time, and I learnt what rock bottom felt like.

That's why I'm so incredibly thankful for everything I have. I have a house, a job and money, I have a lovely boyfriend and amazing best friends, I have a family I can rely on, I have clothes, I have food and water. I have everything some people live without. I have things that some will never, ever, get.

And that's why I sponsor a child, plus his family and village. A little 5 year old boy from Egypt. A place that holds one of the 8 Wonders of the World. I've always had this secret soft spot for Egypt. More so the pyramids and the history. So it was only natural that I would pick that place when I was approached by Plan International to sponsor a child.

I'm well aware that people go hungry, cold, and dehydrated. I'm well aware of the devastation that plagues this world. I know I can't change it all, but I can make a difference to one little person. That's all that matters, really. I once wrote on my bucket list that I want to make a difference in someone's life. I think I have. And that little boy will be thankful for everything he has, even if it's only a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment