they say you don't know what you got 'til it's gone / / they say that your darkest hour comes before your dawn

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

/rant;

So I'm about to start my very first permanent part-time job. Hello lower pay and paid leave. I love the fact that I finally have a job where I can have paid sick leave and annual leave. Holy cow, I'm excited to start. Although, it comes at a hefty price; slashed hourly pay rate. I'm currently on $21p/h, which will drop to around $15.30p/h. For me, this is a big deal. For Michael, he's probably going to enjoy the fact that he now earns more an hour than I do for once. Hahaha. I'm kidding of course, he probably doesn't care.

The thing I found most fascinating was the reaction I got when I told my current employer that I had got the second job. The main reasons why I don't overly enjoy my current job is because the shifts are short, I have to travel more than I would like, and the hours are annoying. On Monday, I used to wake up and do an hour shift at 8:30am, then I'd have to spend the rest of the day waiting so I could go to work again, for another hour, at 7:00pm. I don't like that. I want to be able to bang out a 5 - 8 hour shift for the whole day so I can go home and relax. I also don't like the fact that my shifts usually are given to me the day before. How am I supposed to live my life if I don't know when I'm working next ? I can't plan anything.

I have this rule when it comes to making plans - you must give me at least a week or two advanced notice before making plans with me. I know that sounds ridiculous, but you have no idea how many times people have asked me to do something last minute and I've had to say no because I've got work. There's also the dilemma of people saying that all too familiar line, "Save this date because I'm having a party !" Yeah, that would have been nice HAD YOU TOLD ME THE WEEK BEFORE MY ROSTER CAME OUT SO I COULD ASK FOR THAT DATE OFF ! Fuckers.

Now, considering my current job means that I'm basically on call 24/7, it also means that I'm unable to really make any social commitments because I'm unaware of the possible off-chance that I'll get offered a shift. And knowing my luck, it always happens that way. That's why I'm so glad to be starting my new job. I'll have advance notice of my hours at work, I'll be able to make plans with people, and I'll actually be able to balance business and pleasure without going insane.

Come Thursday and Friday next week, I'll be taking the very first real steps in my career. It's no longer a dream. It's no longer assignment after assignment. It's actually happening. This is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment