they say you don't know what you got 'til it's gone / / they say that your darkest hour comes before your dawn

Monday, October 24, 2011

Day whatever the fuck I'm up to - your favourite movie and why;

The Shawshank Redemption.

I have a lot of favourite movies, but I think this would have to be right at the top. I love Harry Potter. I love Howl's Moving Castle. I love Hook, The Addams Family, Pirates of the Caribbean, Bill & Ted's Adventures, Back To The Future, Terminator, Black Swan, and all those other movies, but this one would have to be the greatest of them all.

One of my favourite quotes about life comes from this movie;
I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. Still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend.
~ 'Red'
If you don't know what the movie is about, you can read it here. It's only like the best movie of all time according to IMDB. Why is it my favourite movie of all time ? I don't know. It just is. I guess because it's about a man who was found guilty and sent to jail for a crime he didn't commit. Because he made the most of his shit situation. Because in the end, he outsmarted everyone and escaped. Because, not only did he escape, but his friend was freed too, and they lived a perfectly happy life afterwards. Because, at one point in the movie, it shows you how fucked up life on the outside can be once you've been institutionalised for the greater part of your life. Because it's based on a true story; a recount of a real man's life. I know it's not 100% fact, but it's an amazing story about always staying positive, about perseverance, about finding friendships that last a lifetime.

I have plans for a tattoo in relation to that quote. One day, I'll have a constant reminder of this movie on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment