they say you don't know what you got 'til it's gone / / they say that your darkest hour comes before your dawn

Saturday, June 16, 2012

PDA and why people get butthurt about it.

I’ve been on all sides of public displays of affection (the witness to grotesque PDA, the initiator of PDA, and the person on the receiving end of PDA) so I know how it feels to be whichever you are when it comes to this topic.

Through my experiences with PDA, I’ve found there are three types of witnesses to it:

  • You hate it.
  • You love it.
  • You don’t care.

If you’re a hater of PDA, all I can say to you is this: Don’t look. Don’t read their Facebook wall posts to each other. Don’t flick through their photos together. Don’t be around them if you’re so offended and put off by their affection. It’s that simple, mate.

If you love it, bathe in it. Tell them it’s cute and you love how they show each other affection. Go “awww” whenever you see photos of them kissing together. Do whatever the fuck makes you feel good about seeing other people happy.

If you’re like me, and don’t care whether people are OTT with their PDA or seem to lack it, then you can go on your merry way living your life like it doesn’t matter. Because, let’s be smart about it this; PDA in a relationship that is exclusive of everyone else is none of your damn business.

As to why people get butthurt about it; I have no idea. I’d like to say it’s because they envy people who show PDA, or that they’re disgusted by it because they find that sort of shit should stay in private, or it’s simply because the two involved are going up and beyond PDA and are practically having sex in the middle of the food court, but people will tell me I’m wrong.

Honestly, the reason why I believe people get butthurt about PDA is really straightforward; because they’d never do that themselves. And that’s okay - there are no laws on PDA (excluding the whole indecent exposure and whatnot) so if you’re not comfortable with it, don’t look. They’re not doing it for you. No one’s forcing you to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment