they say you don't know what you got 'til it's gone / / they say that your darkest hour comes before your dawn

Sunday, June 17, 2012

TMI Tuesday on a Sunday because I fucking can.

PERIODS.


MENSTRUAL CYCLES.


CONTRACEPTION.


BIRTH CONTROL.

If those words make you feel uncomfortable, for the love of your minds, don’t read further.

In Feburary I had the Implanon put in my left arm. The Pill just wasn’t working well enough for me to have sex and feel confident that I wouldn’t end up pregnant. It’s the last thing I could possibly want right now. I figured I might as well update women on how it’s going since I know a few of them were hesitant to get it. In a nutshell; I fucking love the damn thing.

I love not having constant reminders on my phone and hands to make sure I’d take the goddamn pill. I love the freedom of not having to go into the chemist every couple of months and paying $72 for the fuckers. I love that I don’t have to stress about whether I took the Pill at the right time, or even if I took it that day at all. I love not having to carry around the packet with me every single place I go. The only thing I miss about the Pill is the control over my menstrual cycle.

I paid something like $35 for the Implanon itself and then another $40 to have it inserted. It sounds like a scary procedure, it looks fucking brutal afterwards, but it’s the most easy breezy thing to do. I was in the theatre room for roughly 10 minutes and the only pain I experienced was from the actual administration of local anaesthetic.

As for my body’s reaction to it - I experienced light mood swings within the first week but they went away shortly after. That’s normal since my hormones were changing. My cycle has changed as well. I get my period once every two months and it lasts no longer than 8 or so days, which is fucking brilliant considering how it used to be. I don’t get any stress or spot bleeding, and I can tell when I’m about to get my period because I start with the most light of all bleeding for the first couple of day (those “Barely There” panty liners are enough to handle it).

I haven’t gained any extra weight and even if I did, it’s pretty damn easy to lose. I’ve noticed that the skin on my face has become a little bit more oily since having the Implanon, but I’d rather that than dry skin. It’s not enough to cause acne or the likes so I’m okay with it. And the real kicker is that I don’t have to worry about replacing the Implanon for another three years.

Overall, I am 100% happy with the change. I recommend that if you were ever thinking of switching to it, that you have a serious chat with your doctor. If it goes to shit and doesn’t work for your body, you can have it removed straight away and try something else. Seriously though; don’t knock it until you try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment