they say you don't know what you got 'til it's gone / / they say that your darkest hour comes before your dawn

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Soon enough it'll all be gone.

Today Michael and I went to my grandparents’ house for a somewhat impromptu lunch that included my brother and Ryan at the last minute. It was super awesome to catch up with my grandparents before my grandpa’s surgery on Thursday. He’s got bowel cancer and there’s a chance he might not make it through surgery or the recovery. I noticed my grandma’s wearing her wig again so her chemo treatments must be working. She had breast cancer and a mastectomy, but it had spread to her liver shortly after so she had to go back to chemo. She’s doing super well so hopefully she recovers from it.

It think it really sunk in today, about how serious their health concerns really are. If my grandpa doesn’t make it through his surgery, my grandma will have their huge house all to herself. I don’t even know how she’d cope, or even how she’d feel, since they’re marriage was arranged. I’ve never even asked if she actually loves him, or is just with him because that’s what they did in those days. My mother and uncle get the house and I honestly wonder what they’d do with the place - rent it out or knock it down and build smaller houses on it to make profit. It’s such a strange feeling to be sitting in their backyard knowing that soon enough it’ll all be gone. I won’t get to come over and just sit in the garden.

Oh yeah, and the kitchen was so warm there was condensation on the windows !

No comments:

Post a Comment