they say you don't know what you got 'til it's gone / / they say that your darkest hour comes before your dawn

Friday, August 17, 2012

Uni Open Day ruled!

If I wasn’t already excited at the prospects of going, I sure as hell am now. I am physically exhausted and mentally drained from all the walking and listening, but it was so amazing!

The Fees and Finance info session was so insightful and really took a weight off my shoulders. I feel like I can now balance uni costs and living costs without sending myself broke. HECS loans sound like a bad idea at first, but when you understand what they are and how they work, it’s really quite simple. I was super hesitant about getting one, but it looks like I’ll have no other choice. It’s interest free and I don’t have to pay any of it back until I start earning $49k or more a year (which won’t happen on a career’s earnings so I’m set for a few years).

I didn’t plan to sit for the STAT info session but I did anyway just in case there was something I didn’t already know. I found out about a website that has practise questions from previous tests so I can prepare myself. Now I’m not so stressed about it. I’m still going to be nervous as fuck on the day but that’s natural.

General tours took a lot less time than I was expecting. I thought it’d go for an hour since they ran hourly, but it took like 15 minutes because it’s super basic. We were shown the Hub where all the retail stores are; Flinders Uni Bar where there’s alcohol on tap and some food stalls; the library with a cafe in it which doesn’t sell chai lattes for some fucking reason; the UniBooks store where I discovered that one text book was going to cost me $200; and then the lake and grass area. According to the information Heath said, the lectures were small and the tutes even smaller; something like 16 students per tute, which is fantastic. More time for 1:1 assistance.

Nyssa eventually made it back after getting lost trying to find a car park, and we sat for the Nursing info session together. It was really good to have someone to talk to about what was going to happen in the 3 year long degree, even though Nyssa’s going into her second year and I’ll be in my first. Neither of us will know anyone in our years so we’ll both be forced to make friends. Dear l0rd, save us. The lecturer said that studying full time was equivalent to working full time, and that no one should attempt it unless they have 30 hours per week to study on top of everything else. Pft, I can totally do Uni and work at the same time. No biggie, lady. She really advised to split the first year part-time so that you can sort yourself out and balance everything without going insane; too bad I’m already going insane with just work alone, ha!

I somehow totally forgot where I parked, the name of the road included, so I was walking around aimlessly for a long time. I had a map and started walking in the direction I thought I was parked in, but I was sorely mistaken. I couldn’t remember how I got to the Hub from my car park in the first place, so trying to get back based on what looked familiar wasn’t helping. Good thing some random girl helped me find the right car park. She even walked with me right up until I got to my car! Such a sweet girl.

Now I’m home, I spilled all my excitement out on Michael, and I’m trying to calm down and relax after everything from today. Ohyeah, and the campus is smoking friendly, which is good because I didn’t want to light up and cop a fine by mistake. Sweet as.

No comments:

Post a Comment