they say you don't know what you got 'til it's gone / / they say that your darkest hour comes before your dawn

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Australia Day/Citizen Day/Whatever the fuck it’s called Day












Yesterday, most of my friends gathered at Looker’s house for Australia Day (whatever the PC term is now, etc.) BBQ and drinks. Trev picked me up, we got some mixers for my vanilla vodka and some veggie sausages. We were the first to arrive, but whatever, because that meant we could get a head start on drinking and munching on snacks. Upto dropped in some goon and some fruit juice to make punch, but I had already opened a bottle of Looker’s homemade Apple & Blackcurrant cider so I held off for a bit.

Rachel showed up, and then a few others (I don’t really remember who and when), but no one remembered to bring a deck of cards for Kings. Rachel and Kim made some shitty paper cards, but they did the trick since I ended up vomiting in Looker’s back garden afterwards. I only played one round. I think if I went for a second, I wouldn’t have made it through the night.

We took loads of photos, made way too many jokes that I can’t remember, shared alcohol and cigarettes, danced and listened to Triple J’s Hottest 100. Hannah won an imaginary bet that Thrift Shop would win #1.

I don’t really remember when or why, but Rachel picked me up over her shoulders and then tried to walk inside. She got as far as Looker’s back door before she dropped me on the floor. I now have a bruised left side and grazes to my elbow, but it was hilarious at the time.

Michael, Larry and Brad left at one point to go the Jetty Bar to see Ryan, so Rachel, Hannah, Paschal and myself decided to walk to the main road and catch a cab up. We got about half way between the main road and Looker’s house before we got distracted. Some random house had an unguarded trampoline in their front yard - so we jumped on it. We tried to keep our voices down, but I don’t think it worked because someone who lived across the street peered out their front door and then shut it when Rachel yelled hello. Meanies.

Eventually we got off, Rachel decided that stopping in the middle of the street to look for chewing gum was a great idea, and then Hannah and Paschal decided to go home instead. I got a text from Celeste to tell me that Michael, Brad and Larry had gone back to Looker’s, so Rachel and I turned around and went back.

At some point during the night, I think before we left for the Jetty Bar, Lil Hannah and I had a big D&M as drunk girls do. I don’t really remember what it was about, but at the time it was super important for us to get everything out. I can’t imagine my life without her. When she’s a famous movie star, we’re taking her private jet and going shopping in Paris ;)

At the end of the night, Larry, Rachel, Michael and myself decided to go to Rachel’s house instead of trying to go to our own homes. It took us ages to get through on the phone lines to book a cab. We made a quick pit stop at Larry’s house and then went back to Rachel’s. On our way, Rachel couldn’t stop laughing because as she was struggling to put her seat belt on, Michael said, “Omg, Rachel. Just stick it in.” Then she stuck her head out the window and the driver freaked because he thought she was vomiting. Larry made small talk to ease the driver since he seemed really uncomfortable.

Because we made a pit stop along the way, Rachel was panicking about not having enough money for the fare. As it slowly reached closer to $55, she kept suggesting that the driver just pull over and stop because we “couldn’t afford it,” which would have been fine but Michael couldn’t walk due to a sprained ankle he got the night before. When we got to Rachel’s, the fare was something like $58, but because Rachel was being a pain in the ass over the price, he dropped it down to $55! I complimented the driver on his excellent driving skills and said I’d be calling the company again. I like a nice smooth driver.

This morning I woke up at like 7:30am to the sounds of Rachel vomiting in the bathroom. I tried to go back to sleep again, but because my left side is bruised and grazed, it made sleeping uncomfortable. I begged the guys to come to The Pancake Kitchen with me, and they all said yes once I offered to pay. $87 worth of pancakes, bacon, hash browns, eggs, and everything else later, we all went our separate ways.

Oh yeah, I also made a deal with my brother to quit smoking when he runs out of his, since I’m already out of mine. + I made plans to climb Mount Lofty tomorrow morning with Rachel and Sarah. I’m going to nap now and then go to Rachel’s so I’m there in the morning all refreshed for Death Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment