they say you don't know what you got 'til it's gone / / they say that your darkest hour comes before your dawn

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Guess who had a mini anxiety attack in class today?

We were talking about homelessness and how it impacts nursing. I wanted to share my story of how domestic violence lead to homelessness but my mind went into panic mode and I ended up uncontrollably crying in front of everyone. Could not believe after all this time, it still upsets me. Another girl shared her story of how her family were homeless because of domestic violence and drug abuse. We had a massive group hug to cheer everyone up. It was nice.

Later that day, another girl from my class pulled me aside and told me that I’m not alone because she, too, was once homeless. She’s from Africa and sought refuge in Australia. “It’ll get better. It always does. You’re not alone. It makes you stronger.”

There are some really shitty people out there but then you come across fucking magical people and you wonder if they’re secretly unicorns in their spare time because they’re so fucking rare. I’m so happy to be in a class full of truly empathetic nurses-to-be. They’re going to be incredible healers one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment